Our feet do a lot of work. They quite literally carry the load day in and day out.
So, we want to do our best to look after our feet and keep them healthy.
In theory, that should stop you from having to deal with smelly feet!
How can you stop smelly feet and keep those tootsies healthy? Well, it’s all about the proper care and attention. So, let’s dive into that right now.
How To Stop Smelly Feet And Keep Them Healthy Instead!
What Makes Your Feet Smelly?
No one likes smelly feet, but what actually causes them to get odorous? Well, the main culprits are sweaty feet, wearing enclosed shoes and not drying your feet and shoes properly after they’ve been wet.
For most people, enclosed shoes are the culprit! There are a number of different things that can cause your shoes to smell. Some of them are:
- Sweat: Your feet will sweat throughout the day, and if your shoes aren’t breathable, then moisture can become trapped inside. This can cause things like bacteria and fungus to form.
- Bacteria: Bacteria thrive in warm and dark environments. That’s why the inside of a shoe can provide the perfect breeding ground.
- Fungus: Fungus is another thing that likes damp, dark spaces. So, it stands to reason that it likes shoes. And it can cause odour if present.
- Synthetic materials: Synthetic materials are not very breathable, so they can trap odours. Unfortunately, when odours are trapped, they are harder to remove!
- Improper Shoe Care: Looking after your shoes is a big part of preventing smelly feet from developing. If they become dirty inside or out, you need to clean them. It’s also vital to allow your shoes to dry properly before putting them away, then store them in a cool, dry place.
Preventing Smelly Feet
Now that we know the culprits of foot odour, it’s time to eliminate them. You can do that by:
- Practice good foot hygiene: The easiest and most effective job in the fight against smelly feet is to wash your feet regularly and dry them thoroughly, especially between your toes. This will prevent bacteria and fungus from growing. You also want to keep your toenails trimmed, exfoliate any dead skin, and even apply moisturiser to prevent dryness and cracking.
- Choose the right shoes: Ill-fitting shoes can cause sweat, cramping and rubbing of the skin. So, ensure your shoes are comfortable, that they fit well, and that they provide your feet with the right support. Partner those shoes with clean, dry socks made from a breathable material.
- Use foot powder or antifungal spray: Sprinkle foot powder or spray antifungal solution inside your shoes to help absorb moisture and prevent odour-causing bacteria from growing.
- Alternate shoes: Try not to wear the same pair of shoes every day. Alternating between a few different pairs allows your shoes to dry out properly between wearings.
- Keep your shoes dry: Obviously you can’t eliminate puddles or rainstorms! However, if your shoes do get wet, you want to make sure you dry them out before putting them on again. Stuff them with newspaper or use a shoe dryer to dry them as quickly as possible.
- Clean your shoes: Clean your shoes regularly with a damp cloth or brush to remove dirt, sweat and odor-causing bacteria.
- Watch where you go barefoot: It can feel amazing to walk around barefoot, but try not to do it in public places like bathrooms, shops, and other places that get high foot traffic.
Choose The Best Deodoriser
Despite all your best efforts, you cannot fully eliminate the prospect of smelly feet. Especially if the weather is warm, you wear workboots, go to the gym, or your feet get damp a lot. That’s why it’s important to have a great tool in your back pocket.
Odorex Foot and Shoe Deodoriser helps to protect your feet from moisture and infection. Our unique blend of four active ingredients work to rapidly deodorise your footwear and provide lasting relief from shoe and foot odour. In fact, it’s scientifically proven to eliminate smelly feet and shoes!
This antifungal, antibacterial and antiperspirant powder provides long-lasting relief from footwear problems like tinea and athlete’s foot. And it’s efficient too, one treatment can eliminate smelly feet problems for up to 6 months. One flask can treat up to 10 pairs of shoes and keep them odour free for at least a year.